Marcy Hamilton suing the disco where she got STDs

Major Variola (ret) mv at cdc.gov
Sun Oct 5 17:09:59 PDT 2003

(resent)

At 09:22 PM 10/4/03 -0400, Tyler Durden wrote:
>I also have a
>firewall and a router, neither of which I have truly geek-levels of
intimacy
>using.

True.  Not even expensive.  Don't even need hardware.

Marcy is blaming the Redmond disco for the STDs she picked up by
banging anything that smiled at her there.  When she could have
protected
herself and even enjoyed that disco, if that's her taste.

Given freedom to act, you wear a condom.  You don't sue the disco for
failing to
dispense free condoms, or failing to screen its clients.   Or even
failing to prevent
you from being promiscuous.  Marcy is doing that.

She may as well sue Postel's estate, or the SMTP RFC authors
for spam.

The law should not protect against stupidity, or even masochism,
or their consequences.  Just *nonconsensual* transactions.    Pretty
simple.

>The tool analogy may be a weak one, though. Imagine a drill that
somehow
>pollutes the electical supply so much that the guy next door can't use
his
>electronics.

What part of "shall accept all interference and not generate
interference"
is difficult to understand :-)

Or in the modern world, what part of "unlicensed spectrum" is?

In the optical domain:

My local police log had "incident: victim offended by religious
sticker on vehicle" in their police log.   I have written to them asking

if this is a joke, or if they were being polite to some crackpot
by taking a report.  Accept all interference, baby.  Do not sue
the printer of stickers you can't handle.

Or imagine a car that actually disengages the steering wheel at
>random while driving: it's one thing to affect the driver, but if he's
going
>to take me out because of his tool then it's time to get that crap off
the
>road.

Agreed.

Where I grew up, a car had to have a brake exam every year.  In Calif,
no such test, only smog occasionally.  The brake exam seems fairer,
because the harm you can do to others is more focussed.  Though given
the
pop density and atmospheric conditions, and that pollution beyond your
property is a legit libertarian harm, Calif's smog check is probably
reasonable.

Some dude found that if you spin up a CD on a Dremel it
will spray sharp shards when it disintegrates.  Should we sue Phillips
or Dremel?
Maybe we should call Dana Taschner, *he'll* know.  (Hint: Who has more
money, Phillips or Dremel?)

People who are willing to rely on the government to keep them safe
are pretty much standing on Darwin's mat, pounding on the door,
screaming, "Take me, take me!"--Cael in A.S.R.