e voting (receipts, votebuying, brinworld)

anonymous at remailer.hastio.org anonymous at remailer.hastio.org
Wed Nov 26 19:39:27 PST 2003

Major Variola (ret) (mv at cdc.gov) wrote on 2003-11-25:
> Vinny the Votebuyer pays you if you send a picture of your
> face adjacent to the committed receipt, even if you can't touch it.

* Voter locks in choice on touch screen.

* Paper receipt is printed and
  shown to voter.
* Voter chooses 'great' -> receipt disappears into ballot box
  Voter chooses 'nope'  -> receipt disappears into trash bin /
                           can be taken home as a souvenir.

> Since the voting booth is private, no one can see you do this,
> even if it were made illegal.  (And since phones can store images,
> jamming the transmission at the booth doesn't work.)
>
> You send your picture from the cellphone that took it, along with a paypal
> account number as a text message.

The intention behind requiring receipts is not to get totally secure
voting, but to get oting that is not much more insecure than the current
paper process. I assume the 'take pic, show later' attack is also
possible against the current system.