e voting (receipts, votebuying, brinworld)

BillyGOTO billy at dadadada.net
Wed Nov 26 11:35:11 PST 2003

On Wed, Nov 26, 2003 at 09:18:42AM -0800, Tim May wrote:
> On Nov 26, 2003, at 8:10 AM, BillyGOTO wrote:
> >>
> >>I have no problem with this free choice contract.
> >
> >You can't sell your vote for the same reason that Djinni don't
> >grant wishes for "more wishes".
>
> A silly comment. I take it you're saying "Because the rules don't allow
> it." Or something similar to this.
>
> The "rules" are precisely what we are discussing.

In this case, the "rules" are implemented as the design requirements for
the ballot box under discussion.  A snoop-resistant ballot box can give
the "rules" some huevos.  If I sell you my Kennedy vote and then go into
a Snoop-Proof(tm) box and cast it, you won't really be able to tell if
I've ripped you off.

> And "vote buying" is much more widespread than what happens at the
> lowest level we happen to be talking about here, where Alice is paid
> $10 to vote for some particular candidate. In fact, vote buying is much
> more common and more dangerous at the level of political
> representatives.

And their ballots are generally not cast behind moldy blue curtains.