Appeals court OKs no-knock warrant as perfectly appropriate

Freematt357 at aol.com Freematt357 at aol.com
Tue Nov 25 10:50:10 PST 2003

In a message dated 11/25/2003 1:23:08 PM Eastern Standard Time,
s.schear at comcast.net writes:

> I know that there have been cases which determined that its illegal to use
> an indiscriminate weapon (e.g., a shotgun tied to a door) to deter such
> entries, but what about a discriminate, automated, weapon system?  By
> coupling night vision optics and a video pickup, image recognition
> software, a robotic gimbal and an semi-automatic firearm, such a system
> could discriminate forced entry situations from more normal entry means,
> target intruders and initiate deterrence. What then?

In the 1996 release of the film, "The People vs. Larry Flynt", there is a
scene where a warrant is served on Flynt's home. His bedroom typified the
ultimate "safe room" where the agents serving the warrant couldn't get in until the
room was opened from the inside.  Obviously everyone doesn't have the money
that Flynt has in order to effectively harden ones house, but you can cheaply and
rather effectively improve your haunts to allow more warning.

The system you describe would in most jurisdiction still be considered
illegal and premeditative.  You're better off with passive measures.

Regards,  Matt-