e voting (receipts, votebuying, brinworld)

Bill Frantz frantz at pwpconsult.com
Mon Nov 24 15:52:32 PST 2003

At 2:30 PM -0800 11/24/03, Major Variola (ret) wrote:
>At 01:04 PM 11/24/03 -0500, Trei, Peter wrote:
>>Thats not how it works. The idea is that you make your choices on
>>the machine, and when you lock them in, two things happen: They
>>are electronically recorded in the device for the normal count, and
>>also, a paper receipt is printed. The voter checks the receipt to
>>see if it accurately records his choices, and then is required to
>>put it in a ballot box retained at the polling site.
>>
>>If there's a need for a recount, the paper receipts can be checked.
>>
>>I imagine a well designed system might show the paper receipt through
>>a window, but not let it be handled, to prevent serial fraud.
>
>Vinny the Votebuyer pays you if you send a picture of your
>face adjacent to the committed receipt, even if you can't touch it.
[more deleted]

It depends on what happens to the receipt when you say commit.  It could
automatically go into the ballot box without delay, so you can't take such
a photo.

I expect that Vinny is already doing this with video of the touch screen
verification screen and the voter pressing OK, but he hasn't make me an
offer yet.  I expect he gets better value for his money with TV ads, and
last minute hit mailers.

Cheers - Bill

Bill Frantz        | "There's nothing so clear as a | Periwinkle
(408)356-8506      | vague idea you haven't written | 16345 Englewood Ave
www.pwpconsult.com | down yet." -- Dean Tribble     | Los Gatos, CA 95032