Gestapo harasses John Young, appeals to patriotism, told to fuck off

Declan McCullagh declan at well.com
Tue Nov 18 10:29:52 PST 2003

On Tue, Nov 11, 2003 at 09:01:00PM -0800, Tim May wrote:
> People should not talk to the Feds. If the Feds come calling, refer
> them to one's lawyer. For those who don't have a lawyer on retainer,
> tell them that you need to consult with a lawyer first. Whether you do
> or you don't is beside the point. The point is to not talk to them.

This is sound advice of course, as is the point about not inviting
federal police into your home.

When I was served with the Carl Johnson subpoena, I had had a party
the night before and one fellow (a 20something sysadmin from
Baltimore) was asleep on the couch in the front room. At the sound of
the doorbell, he opened the door and let the federal process server
into the front hallway. Moral of this story is to make sure your
houseguests know your house rules.

Even if you don't have a lawyer on retainer, and I suspect few folks
here do, saying you need to consult with one will provide you with
time to give the local ACLU affiliate a call. Also law school legal
clinics can be useful sources of free advice in a pinch.

-Declan