[Mac_crypto] MacOS X (Panther) FileVault

Nicko van Someren nicko at ncipher.com
Thu Nov 13 05:15:03 PST 2003

On 13 Nov 2003, at 5:12, David Shayer wrote:

> I was told that FileVault replaces your home directory with an
> encrypted disk image, much like PGP Disk, so its probably blockwise
> underneath the file system layer. Files in your home directory are
> copied into the disk image, and some file system links redirect calls
> to the home directory to the disk image, and keep the user from seeing
> it as another mounted disk.

This is basically correct.  FileVault uses an auto-mounting version of
the encrypted disk image facility that was in 10.2, tweaked to allow
the image to be opened even before your main key chain is available
(since the key chain is stored inside your home directory).  The
standard encrypted image format uses a random key stored on your key
chain, which is itself encrypted with a salted and hashed copy of the
keychain pass phrase, which defaults to your login password.  My
suspicion is that for the FileVault there is some other key chain file
in the system folder which stores the key for decrypting your home
directory disk image and that the pass phrase for that is just your
login password.

> File Vault will automatically expand or contract the disk image at
> certain points. It creates a new image, copies everything over, and
> deletes the old image.

Yup, it essentially does an "hdiutil compact" command when you log out.

> I don't know what mode of AES-128 it uses.

I believe that it uses counter mode, since it's efficient when doing
random access to the encrypted data.

	Nicko