Campaign contribution limits and soft money...law of unintended consequences

Tim May timcmay at got.net
Wed Nov 12 09:59:05 PST 2003

So the Dems who sought "campaign finance reform," via "McCain-Feingold"
(*) are now trying to get an exception to allow George Soros to spend
his "soft money" to help Dems. It seems the "legally collected" $160
million war chest that Shrub has collected is scaring the Dems, who
have raised vastly less. They are looking with lust at the coffers of
Soros and others, except the "campaign finance reform" laws they got
passed are a problem...

(* McCain is officially a Republican, but is actually deeply statist
and is to the left of Ted Kennedy on many things)

The Constitutional principle is crystal clear on all of these "limits
on speech": there ain't none.

If Tim May wants to speak out, buy ads, write articles, hire others to
speak out, he can. Ditto for George Soros. Ditto for anyone else.
Period.

The fact that the Supreme Court has not said "Just what part of the
First Amendment have you not read?" and struck down the laws is
symptomatic of the sick adhocracy we now live in.

I cannot wait for the mushroom cloud over D.C.

--Tim May
"Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and
strangled with her panty hose,  is somehow morally superior to a woman
explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound"