Panther's FileVault can damage data

petard petard at sdf.lonestar.org
Fri Nov 7 09:59:02 PST 2003

On Fri, Nov 07, 2003 at 08:55:08AM -0800, Tim May wrote:
> It's astounding to me that that Apple failed to do basic QC on its
> major new release.
>
> The problem with the Firewire 800 drives using the Oxford 922 chips is
> inexcusable. Did Apple never bother to run the new version of OS X with
> drives made by vendors other than Apple? (I'm assuming here the
> Firewire 800 problem is not present in Apple drives, about which I am
> not 100% convinced.)

Which Apple drives? Is there such a thing as an Apple firewire drive, and
if so does it use the Oxford 922 bridge chipset? This is the closest product
I am aware of:
http://www.apple.com/ipod/

It's firewire 400 and most assuredly does not use a 922 chip.

If software companies were responsible for bugs in hardware that they do not
manufacture, MS would be in much more trouble than it is already.

petard