Freenet and DHCP

Tarapia Tapioco comesefosse at ntani.firenze.linux.it
Tue Nov 4 10:43:03 PST 2003

Hi,
Roy M. Silvernail (roy at rant-central.com) wrote on 2003-11-03:
> In looking over the Freenet FAQ (specifically the Firewall/NAT stuff), it
> looks like a static public IP address is assumed/needed.  My DSL connection
> is DHCP, so my visible IP changes periodically.  Even more fun, the visible
> IP isn't visible from my side. (I get a 10.x.x.x address from my DSL modem)
> I can do some sneaky stuff to recover the visible IP, but can Freenet work
> under these conditions?

It Depends[tm].

All you really need is one TCP listen socket - if you can't receive incoming
TCP connections, you can only participate as a transient node and retrieve
content, but you're not really useful to the network as it is.

Using a DynDNS host name for the ipAddress setting is pretty common on Freenet,
so that shouldn't be a problem.