FLASH: DHS wants info on store refunds?

Bill Stewart bill.stewart at pobox.com
Tue Nov 4 02:13:27 PST 2003

> Well, when I brought back the returns, they wanted a drivers license.
> Odd, considering it was a cash sale and I was holding the receipt.
> "It's required by the Homeland Security Department" says the kid behind
> the register.  Sorry.  I need ID, and I have to enter it into the
> computer and forward it to the Homeland Security Office.  The
> Terrorists are using this kind of thing to wash money."

Sounds like a pure bogus lie to me.  Doesn't mean the _kid_ was lying;
he may have been told that that was the policy,
or the complexities of Homeland Security vs. Fed Firearms Burons vs.
State Gun Law Enforcer Thugs may just be beyond him.

Normally there'd be no reason that the store would be required to
accept your returns at all, except that it's good business,
but in this case they told you they would, so it's a verbal contract.

If you've already talked to the manager, and haven't gotten satisfaction,
then yeah, it's time to deal with the other store.