Chaumian blinding & public voting?

John Washburn jwashburn at whittmanhart.com
Mon Nov 3 09:38:23 PST 2003

The Soviet Union and Pre-Invasion II Iraq had voter turnouts of 98+%.
If voter turnout were important the same could be done here.

What is wanted is a high turnout of INTERESTED voters.  Only ballot
choices produce that.  Nevada has consistently higher voter turnout at
all levels than any other state.  Nevada also is the only state with No
Of The Above (NOTA) as a pre-printed ballot option which must be
included in all elections; even the "uncontested" races. I do not think
this is a coincidence.

Unfortunately the NOTA votes are non-binding as is the case in
Australia.  With binding NOTA, if NOTA with there is a new race with new
candidates; none of whom can have appeared on the ballot where NOTA won.
In Nevada, you have the ignominy of being listed as coming in second
behind NOTA.  But, you still get to exercise the levers of political
power.

Still, even Nevada's miniscule expansion of ballot options demonstrated
my point.  Interesting ballots (more candidates or more options) draw
more voters because the pool of interested voters is larger.

Another simple option I would like to see is a star next to the current
office holder. This would slightly offset the staggering advantages of
incumbency.

After binding NOTA and incumbency identification, then you can begin to
work on the rigged ballot access game create by the Democrat/Republican
hegemony.