Spelling corrections are now export-controlled

Major Variola (ret) mv at cdc.gov
Sun Nov 2 01:47:47 PST 2003

At 04:05 PM 11/2/03 +1300, Peter Gutmann wrote:
>Still... it occurs to me that the State
>department is setting itself up for a DOS attack -- what would happen
if 10%
>of all US academics were to apply for one of these licenses?

It would facilitate the blacklisting and later roundup.  And hmm, where
do academics get their $ from?  Any questions?

Imagine McCarthy with computers.  McCarthy on a paranoid speed binge,
with computers.
Or don't imagine, just visit DC.

Hmm, if it didn't cause problems for the list maintainers I'd post some
technical queries
from a spoofed address from an axis of whatever nation.  Then again,
maybe I'm from
an axis country spoofing the US, and you're all as fucked as a Chinook
with a SAM
locking onto its tail :-)

----
Of course there are limits in regards to freedom of speech.  They are as

follows:
"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or
prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of
speech,
or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and
petition the Government for a redress of grievances."
Everything else is, of course, allowed.  -Sunder