Chaumian blinding & public voting?

Steve Furlong sfurlong at acmenet.net
Sat Nov 1 17:23:17 PST 2003

On Fri, 2003-10-31 at 23:55, Tim May wrote:
> Increasing voter turnout is, of course, a Bad Thing. For the reasons we
> discuss so often.

Agreed. To the extent that I want a government at all, I support a
constitutional republic, not a democracy. Legions of bleary-eyed,
TV-addled, bigoted jackasses are not needed for determining the will of
the people. For that matter, I'd just as soon go a few steps closer to
the US's original franchise: leaving out the sex- and race-based
qualifications, you have to be an established citizen with some assets.
This method of setting the franchise would curb the excesses of the
bread and circuses crowd, and it would have the added benefit of pissing
off the activists and the populists.

> the list of 25 million in these united states who need to be sent up
> the chimneys?

Only 25 million? Gotta disagree with you there, Tim. I'm with Sturgeon
on this: 90% of everything is crud. The correct statement is, 25 million
should be spared.