FLASH: DHS wants info on store refunds?

J.A. Terranson measl at mfn.org
Sat Nov 1 16:11:15 PST 2003

Ahhh, the joys of shopping for new toys.  A new sling.  A scope mount and
4x.  Music to the ears (after mufflers are properly applied :-).

Here in the heart of Redneck Country, there are two stores with a decent
selection that are under an hours drive: Dunn's and Galyans (a chain).
Galyans is closer, so off I went.

I made several purchases, including three different scope mounts, as I was
uncertain as to the proper form in use - figuring that bringing back the two
wrong choices would not be a big deal.  I even checked at the counter -
"Sure.  No problem.  Just bring your receipt.".

Well, when I brought back the returns, they wanted a drivers license.  Odd,
considering it was a cash sale and I was holding the receipt.

"It's required by the Homeland Security Department" says the kid behind the
register.  Sorry.  I need ID, and I have to enter it into the computer and
forward it to the Homeland Security Office.  The Terrorists are using this
kind of thing to wash money."

I must have looked pretty stupid with my jaw hanging down like that.

I made a scene of course.  A *big* scene.  Lots of loud argument, pointing
out all the obvious things: as a cash sale, the money did not need
"washing".  Cash sales are inherently ID agnostic.  Etc., etc., etc.

No dice.

They want ID, and they are not going to budge.

I guess Galyans is off my list of acceptable stores :-(   Pity, as I've spent
almost a grand there since they opened just a few months ago, and had plans
to sped a *lot* more.  Next time, I'll have to make that extra 25 minute
drive to Dunn's and pray they have what I want.

I suppose I shouldn't be surprised - we all *knew* this day was coming - but
I really thought it wouldn't happen until RFIDs were in the money...

Gotta find a new country.  Fast...

 --
Yours,
J.A. Terranson