Nigerian Spammers Using TDD/TTY Telephone Relay Service

Roy M.Silvernail roy at rant-central.com
Tue May 27 04:23:50 PDT 2003

On Tuesday 27 May 2003 03:53 am, Bill Stewart wrote:
> This weekend I received three or more cell phone calls from 800-855-0000,
> which said they were the AT&T Relay Service, which relays phone calls
> from deaf people using TDD or TTY or now internet webform services.
> They claimed to be a "Dr. Charles Ego" (or some name like that)
> asking to confirm that I'd received his email, and asking for my email
> address.

Interesting turn of events.  I'd have expected porno spammers to blaze this
new territory.  But then, it seems that the Nigerian spam crew has more time
to waste.  Reports like the one at http://www.geocities.com/a_kerenx/ tell of
pulling what is essentially the telemarketer timewaster maneuver on the
scammers.

Frankly, I'm surprised I haven't yet seen incidents of spammers following up
via another comm channel to find out why their spam was ignored and/or repeat
their pitch.  For that matter, with all the First Amendment blather heard
from spammers, I'd almost expect one of them to argue for proactively
enforced delivery and some sort of "obligation to read" statute.