People persons

Jamie Lawrence jal at jal.org
Sat May 24 14:30:48 PDT 2003

On Sat, 24 May 2003, Steve Furlong wrote:

> I think that's right. I finished high school just after that time block,
> and would have been interviewing for my first after-graduation job in
> '84 if I hadn't put on the green suit. The high school guidance
> counselor and the college job hunting assistant certainly emphasized
> people skills to us engineer types. "You may be the best engineer ever,
> but you have to impress the personnel department first. They like to
> deal with people, so make sure to speak their language." It didn't much
> affect me, but many of my friends weren't savvy enough to realize that
> career advice from a high school guidance counselor or a 23-year-old
> grad assistant who had yet to find work outside of acedemia was not
> worth much.

Largely similar with my experience. I went and talked to the counselor,
carefully considered what they said, and completely ignored the
suggestions.

I'm wearing a different hat now, but in a previous life managed an
engineering department that turned out Product extremely well.
I tend to be a difficult person. Not becuase I like to be, but because
asking questions seems to lead to better Product. In a more research
focused persuit, I'd present as a very different person.

I do remember a conversation with a college couselor who told me I was
promising, but difficult. When I replied, pointing out that simply
saying "yes" all the time is a bad way to make sure everyone had some
idea of what is going on, I heard something largely along the lines
of "see, that's the problem."

School counselors in general seem to suffer from the same problem as
phychologists. Not only can't they tell someone what "best practice" is
for what they want to do, but also, they fail to meaningfully help out
with the question of "what is it that I want to do?" I don't hold it
against them that they can't do so, but I still find them useless.

The random .sig that came up strikes me as amusing.

-j

Jamie Lawrence                                        jal at jal.org
After a while, you realise the pig is enjoying it.