Commercial Spam-blocker with Sender-Pays using PayPal

Tim May timcmay at got.net
Tue May 20 23:40:06 PDT 2003

On Tuesday, May 20, 2003, at 01:22  AM, Bill Stewart wrote:

> I'm forwarding this just because it's the first time I've seen a
> commercial
> spam-blocker program that implements sender-pays, so it seemed topical.
> I don't know if any of their customers have actually implemented that
> feature
> (it's got other alternatives like a Bayesian filter and Turing
> auto-responder)
> or if anybody has actually bothered to send them mail if they use it.
>
> (Their email for it looks like semi-spammy drivel, but they've got
> permission,
> because I was once interested in getting updates about one of their
> other packages and haven't bothered unsubscribing.)

Trivially uninteresting, because of the "fax effect."

Until the overwhelming percentage of those I really need to get through
to me have started using such a system, too many messages lost.

Which is a side effect of the important fact that currency varies from
person to person. There is no fixed value of either money or access.

As a data point, subject to change, nobody I really care to communicate
with at this time either has (to the best of my knowledge) a PayPal
account nor is hep to the idea of spending a few hours trying to learn
how to pay to send me messages. Perhaps they know that I neither have a
PayPal account nor will spend the time to figure out how to receive
their paid messages.

Q.E.D.

--Tim May