Taking aim at denial-of-service attacks

Arnold G. Reinhold reinhold at world.std.com
Tue May 20 11:03:39 PDT 2003

One interesting aspect of using proof of work (POW) to protect
against denial of service attacks is that it can be implemented and
demonstrated without the need for widespread adoption. The basic idea
(as I see it) is that the servers that handle end-user PCs have the
ability to demand proof of work from the end users before accepting
packets and give priority to the delivery of packets where required
work has been demonstrated. Higher level servers then give priority
to packets where POW has been demonstrated.

To establish an initial system, large user, such as the Federal
Government, a large corporation or a consortium of universities, only
has to insure that there is chain of POW-aware servers between
several of its sites. The selected sites should then enjoy protection
from DOS attacks for inter-site communications and this would be
evident when such attacks occur. Additional sites could be added
incrementally and, as long as proper standards are created and
observed, different networks that adopt POW antiDOS can be linked
merely by establishing a POW aware path between the nets. Since
POWawareness would likely be just a software upgrade the technology
should spread quite rapidly.

Arnold Reinhold