Extent of UK snooping revealed

John Kozubik john at kozubik.com
Tue May 20 11:05:23 PDT 2003

On Tue, 20 May 2003, Kevin S. Van Horn wrote:

> barabbus at hushmail.com wrote:
>
> >[If you're not making a serious attempt at limiting access to information about your on-line activities you're pissing into the wind.]
> >

> Do you know of any  effective means of concealing one's web-surfing
> habits?  I know there are things like Anonymizer.com, but with all of
> these you have to trust the service providers.  I've looked into JAP,
> but they don't have a real network -- just one path between two links,
> both controlled by the same people.

I am writing a HOWTO on this subject now, and will (perhaps) be speaking
on the topic at DefCon.  Long story short:

a) collocate your own server (not just a webhost) somewhere.

b) install a web server with proxy capability, and configure your own
web clients on your personal computers to only hit that webserver, and to
only hit it with SSL for _all_ web requests.  So, all your web browsing
occurs over SSL and has a single destination - your server.  The actual
fetching of web pages occurs in plain text (or SSL if the site really is
SSL) from your server to the world.

c) pick a small group (whose size relates to how much bandwidth at your
collocation facility you can afford) and give them access as well, so as
to diminish traffic pattens when comparing your ISP logs to the collocated
servers' ISP logs

d) set up an automated script on the server that _constantly_ fetches
random web pages, thus creating a constant stream of http traffic in and
out of the server, again diminishing traffic patterns.  Log the actual
proxy requests in some temporary fashion and randomly hit those web sites
in an automated fashion throughout the day, regardless of whether someone
is requesting them through the proxy or not...and then, script a constant
stream of requests to the proxy as well ... either from a home firewall,
other home users, or from other users' collocated servers.  The point is
you want constant traffic in both directions.

Establishing Plausible Deniability:

a) set up some lame web site on your collocated server offering some sort
of "web archive", thus establishing PD for crawling/visiting any site

b) open up your wireless AP, at least a little bit, so that random persons
walking by have the ability to browse from the IP your ISP has given you
as well ... this may be complicated as they have to configure the proxy.

Extra points for:

a) randomizing the HTTP-USER-AGENT strings coming out of the proxy to
fetch the requested data, again removing traffic patterns and reducing
your own risk if you use an odd web browser.

b) setting up a personal firewall on your own internet link that _only_
allows HTTP and SSH traffic, and only allows it to your collocated server.
This will allow you to use modern OS software that you may not trust
(windows XP ?) while showinng you what kind of extra-curricular
connections it is making.

c) running your SSL connections to the proxy over port 25 or port 20 ...
or 110 ... or 6667 - all good candidates.

d) equalizing the constant inbound and outbound traffic that is generated
to obscure traffic patterns ... so, if the constant, scripted inbound SSL
requests fall, then the random scripted browsing outbound falls with it.

Comments appreciated.

-----
John Kozubik - john at kozubik.com - http://www.kozubik.com