Underestimating long-term consequences of cryptoanarchy

Tim May timcmay at got.net
Sat May 17 17:29:36 PDT 2003

On Saturday, May 17, 2003, at 12:31  PM, Major Variola (ret) wrote:

> At 09:47 AM 5/17/03 -0700, Tim May wrote:
> You mention Darwin but not Richard Dawkins author
> of _Selfish Gene_ and later meme theories.  Memes
> are basically ideas.  They can replicate, compete,
> cooperate, etc.  Brains are the medium in which they
> grow.
>
> Memes like "believe me or believers kill you" are
> particularly cancerous.
>
> If you haven't read Dawkins, you should, and he's
> quite an enjoyable read.

I first met Dawkins at the Artificial Life Conference in 1987 in Los
Alamos. I had of course already read "The Selfish Gene" and, as I
recall, "The Extended Phenotype" (at or around that time).

(That was just about the best conference I ever attended. Only about
100-125 of us, and a lot of interesting people. I hear the followup
conferences, which I never attended, were much larger and with fewer of
the interesting luminaries.)

As for who I mentioned, I didn't mention a _lot_ of related names. I'm
not as convinced as some that Dawkins has rewritten our understanding
of things. The ideas of replication of things, companies, sets of
ideas, empires, etc. has been around for a long time. "The Nature of
the Firm" said much the same thing several decades ago.

A friend of mine, Keith Henson, takes "memetics" much more seriously,
though.

--Tim May
"You don't expect governments to obey the law because of some higher
moral development. You expect them to obey the law because they know
that if they don't, those who aren't shot will be hanged." - -Michael
Shirley