<nettime> The War on David Nelson

Bill Stewart bill.stewart at pobox.com
Sat May 17 17:00:45 PDT 2003

At 01:46 AM 05/17/2003 -0400, Tyler Durden wrote:
>Just what I was afraid of. Even worse than the "Big Brother" scenario
>(where a giant, hyper-evil and hyper-intelligent KGB runs the place)
>is a sea of minimum wage incompetants now hyper-empowered with
>secret lists and locally infinite authority.
>
>This isn't the fascist utopia I thought I was buying into.

Part of the problem is that they *don't* have locally infinite authority,
only locally infinite responsibility.
The minimum-wage incompetents have orders they *must* follow,
and don't have the authority to decide when they're bogus or inappropriate
or have been documented around or obviously apply to some *other* Dave Nelson,
but do know that if they get caught failing to harass _this_ Dave Nelson,
they lose their jobs, and if they let _some_ Dave Nelson through and the
plane blows up,
they're in even worse trouble.