Underestimating long-term consequences of cryptoanarchy

Tim May timcmay at got.net
Sat May 17 09:47:04 PDT 2003

On Friday, May 16, 2003, at 07:58  PM, Declan McCullagh wrote:

> On Fri, May 16, 2003 at 10:55:50AM -0700, Tim May wrote:
>> -- public choice analysis (who benefits?)
>> -- market distortions (markets are ignored)
>> -- rent-seeking (control of resources means continuing rent);
>> shakedowns, governments banning competition for its monopolies
>> -- central planning (inefficient allocation)
>> -- laws no longer connected to morality, but to rent-seeking (gov't.
>> running gambling)
>> -- a general inattention to market, as politicians are not spending
>> their own money (hence bad investments in urban renewal, factory
>> subsidies, highways, railroads, etc.)--their own money is not at risk.
>
> All that is right, of course, and very concise. I guess I'm inefficient
> because I wrote a piece recently that used many more words to say
> the same thing. :) See below. It's on nanotech pork barreling and
> public choice.

Actually, I wasn't very concise. I listed a laundry list of
loosely-related ideas...somewhere in there is a coherent and concise
theory.

However, since some of the ideas have won their authors Nobel Prizes in
Economics, and since they themselves have not distilled the point into
a single theorem (a la Coase's Theorem, which is also related, but I
won't get into that here), listing the examples is all that I could do.

The general theme is purpose "the purpose of life." The purpose of any
lifeform, or at least the outcome after competition and selection, is
furtherance of life. Whether genotype or phenotype, whether actual
instance of a lifeform or the DNA.

The purpose of a U.S. politician is to be reelected. Nothing else
matters. So the politician will say anything he has to say to be
reelected. And he will spend money that is not his own to be reelected.

Likewise, the purpose of Congress as a generalized lifeform is to
perpetuate itself, to grow, to become more dominant. It passes laws to
insulate itself from competition, it spins a web of confusing and
conflicting laws to ensure its survival.

The purpose of the judicial system is to ensure its role as the
priesthood, interpreting the confusing and conflicting laws as the
seers and priests of ancient times interpreted the signs of the gods.

And so, for lifeforms such as the U.N., the Hague, Saddam Hussein and
his Baath Party, etc.

This is Nietzsche's "Beyond Good and Evil" writ large. Politicians
mouth words about good and evil and morality and campaign reform and
protecting the children, but the real reason they act is out of
self-interest. This is the larger theme behind all of the examples
Declan says I concisely described.

The key is to place limits on this ability to act as a devouring
lifeform.

Most libertarians are, I think, aware of this at a deep level. Most
favor the Cincinnattus approach to government: Cincinnattus (spelling?)
was the Roman general who wanted to work his farm. Other Romans, in
Rome, wanted him to lead Rome. He did so, for some amount of time (I
forget how long), then went back to his farm.

However, most politicians view politics as their life's work...or at
least the best-paying job they're ever likely to get. A Congressvarmint
earns something like $130,000 a year, plus numerous fringe benefits
(cars, staff, fuckable interns, speaking engagements which pay more
$$$, graft opportunities, junkets to Carribbean islands, and so on). A
moderate dullard like Gary Condit from Modesto, California can do
better as Congressman, distributing other people's money to whomever
will suport his continuing career, than he can as a fertilizer salesman
in his home town (like that other famous Modesto resident, Scott
Peterson, accused of killing his wife Lacy).

Hence Washington, D.C. is itself a lifeform, intent on surviving,
growing, solidifying its power, proliferating, and generally acting as
invasive weed. Political kudzu. Instead of meeting for a few months out
of each year, with the politicians otherwise back in their home
districts, it's of course a year-round affair now, with most of the
politicians (and their staffs, who are about 20 times as numerous, more
if departments of the Executive branch are counted) making the
political capital their primary residence. With many who lose in
elections remaining in Washington as undersecretaries of something (I
just noticed Asa Hutchinson, a former Congressman, is now some kind of
undersecretary at HHS) or as think tank employees...they would rather
stay on in McLean or Adams-Morgan or Bethesda or Vienna than go back to
Skedunktity Junction, Tennessee.

I hesitate to call this a "bionomic interpretation," especially as I
never really bothered to learn what "bionomics" was all about, but it's
a kind of biological interpretation.

Or, quoting Nietzsche once again, it's a "will to power."

(No accident that N. was the first profound thinker to come after
Darwin restructured everything people had thought about the world.)

Entities at nearly all levels seek power, seek life, try to suppress
competition. The challenge is to find ways to limit the grown of
invasive weed entities like government (of whatever ideological
form...the Baathists were in many ways no worse than the Republicrats).

Ayn Rand expressed this in terms of disputing altruism, which is the
flip side of saying that organisms seek power or act in self-interest.
(She was a Nietzschian, at least originally, but later found something
to disagree with him about, and in typical Rand fashion, declared him
to be some kind of corrupt thinker. Hilarious.)

So, Declan, this is a less concise, restatement of the examples.

Again, close to "public choice theory." But also close to natural
selection. And ultimately, a market system (of sorts, with various
distortions caused by men with guns).

Where crypto comes in, of the form we call anarchocapitalism or
cryptoanarchy, is that it short-circuits or bypasses some of the
centralized control mechanisms. Which is not altogether new, as the
telephone did this, as decentralized distribution did, and so on.
(Which is a reason Russia had but one major city that all sought to
move to, but the U.S. has long had many major cities....most people I
know have no stinking desire to live in either Washington or NYC or LA.)

But relating crypto and digital money and data havens to political
ideology is another major topic, so I'll stop here.

However, you mention nanotechnology, which I have had some interest in
for a couple of decades (via Eric Drexler, Ralph Merkle, Ted Kaehler,
and the nanotechnology discussion group in Palo Alto in the early 90s),
so I will make a few comments:

> -Declan
>
> ---
>
>    The best case for a government subsidy of R&D is to fund vital
>    research that the private sector would fail to do on its own.
>    Proponents of government nanotech funding argue that, as in other
>    "basic research" areas, corporations have only short-term profit
>    horizons. They say that government must pay for basic research
> because
>    that's not profitable--only applied research is.

Some of the nanotech advocates have long-argued for a "Moonshot"
approach, an Apollo Program for nanotech. Gag! We tried to argue with
them that this was a terrible idea, that Apollo _itself_ was a terrible
approach to going into space in general.

The chip industry did not need significant amounts of government money.

It is an oft-repeated and bogus claim that chips came from government
money. While government spent some money buying circa-1960 technology
for Minuteman missiles, for example, the commercial development was way
ahead. I could give a dozen more examples. Anyone who was at either
Fairchild or TI in the 60s or Intel or Mostek or AMD in the 70s could
trivially dispute the claim that the core developments of those decades
came from government largesse.

>    This point has some validity, but there are three counter-arguments.
>    First, private sources will pay for basic research. It may not be at
>    the level that all researchers would prefer, but if it can lead to
>    applied research results, the private sector will still do some of
> it.
>    Second, nanotechnology includes a mix of early-stage research and
>    late-stage research.  Third, by having private funders, you avoid
>    the public choice problems.

Most of the important spending in Silicon Valley was not of research,
but was of _feeders_. By this I mean the rise of various companies
supplying feedstocks: silicon wafers of sufficient purity, liquid
nitrogen (even plumbed under some streets by vendors), photoprojection
printers, test equipment, pure chemicals, laminar flow hoods, and on
and on.

It is this _ecology_ of suppliers and customers that gave us the
striking advances in chip technology (and similar advances in aircraft,
in biotech, in computers in general, in software, and so on).

By contrast, Apollo gave us a dozen spacecraft, of which half were used.

Nanotech will need the same ecology of suppliers and customers cited
above. Government cannot provide this.

However, it is in the interest of some "nanotech leaders" that they be
the ones to disperse the money of others, that they become the dominant
nanotech lifeform. Whether individuals or committees (some in
Washington, even), they will seek to perpetuate and expand. (In some
cases, the "nanotech leaders" will be the Congressmen who try to build
a career, and later business gig, on shaping nanotech policy. In other
cases, it will be early pioneers of nanotech who are unhappy with the
industrial focus of work and wish to get it back it back to the pure
vision (I decline to name a name here). In other cases, it will just be
the usual plodders and dullards who see setting nanotech policy as
their only hope for some measure of job security. We've seen this many
times before.

(Which is not to say this did not happen during the rise of Silicon
Valley. In fact, companies and those in them would like to do the same
thing. There is no doubt that my former employer, Intel, would like to
be the dominant lifeform for at least as long as the remaining careers
and retirement living of its employees! I, too, would like to see it
continue to dominate--at least until I can sell my remaining stock!
This is not surprising. Altruism is not why companies like Intel or
Apple or Microsoft exist. However--and this is important!--they lack
the power to force their customers to continue to buy from them, as
companies like Packard (the car company, not the monitor company) and
U.S. Steel and United Airlines found out. Or, in the chip business, as
Mostek and Monolithic Memories and Rheem Semiconductor found out. This
is the difference between "markets with coercion" and "markets without
coercion.")

(There are deep, and unexplored here, connections between the
initiation of force and distortions of markets. Organisms have long
used force--claws and teeth and clubs and guns--as a means of competing
for food or mates, for controlling territory, for collecting rent.
Much could be said here about the connections with initiation of force,
Schelling points for rights in uncoerced transactions, the role of
untraceability (and hence unreachability in the physical world) in some
of the interesting crypto uses, and anarchocapitalism in general. We
seek ways to reduce or remove the ability of men with guns to force us
to give them money or other things of value.)

>    Real-world subsidies rarely, if ever, follow the ideal found in
>    economics textbooks. Instead, government-funded R&D in the real
> world
>    is subject to the lobbying and rent-seeking that takes place
> whenever
>    government dangles money.

Yep, this author is making the same list of points I made:
rent-seeking, public choice theory, dangling money...all part of the
general will to power principle.

Rest of article not commented on.

I urge Cypherpunks to listen to their (likely) natural inner voices
telling them government subsidies have rarely worked and have often
done great harm.

No government funding for nanotech, or digital money, or _anything_.

So, this article is no longer concise. Such is life.

--Tim May, Occupied America
"They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary
safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin, 1759.