This disc will self-destruct in 48 hours.

Tim May timcmay at got.net
Fri May 16 16:41:24 PDT 2003

On Friday, May 16, 2003, at 02:30  PM, Major Variola (ret) wrote:

> Buena Vista did not disclose pricing plans but said the discs, dubbed
> EZ-D, would be available in August in select markets with recent
> releases including "The Recruit," "The Hot Chick," and "Signs."
>
> http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nm/20030516/tc_nm/
> media_disney_dvds_dc_1

You left out the rest of the article:

"Disney says that their market research shows that films they are
planning to introduce with EZ-D are films no one in their right mind
would _want_ to watch a second time, let alone keep. "We found that 85%
of our test subjects stopped watching "The Hot Chick" less than 30
minutes into the playing, and that 97% of those who finished watching
"Signs" turned to their friends and family and said "That was really,
really lame.""

I would not want to be the reliability engineer on this product. What
happens when a batch goes bad before the official 48-hour expiration?
And since oxidation (rust) is an Arrhenius process (activation energy,
the usual rate proportional to exp (- activation energy/kT)), storing
the disks in a hot car or even just a non-air-conditioned house could
cause it to oxidize many times faster than when storing it in a cool
place. Or, as others have noted, in a  freezer.

Seems to me it could be fun to rent some of these Disney turkeys, force
them to wear out (rust) much faster than normal, then go to the rental
place with a wild, crazed look and tell the manager: "THESE WON'T
FUCKING PLAY, ASSHOLE. YOU HAVE RIPPED ME OFF. GIVE ME ALL OF MY MONEY
BACK OR YOUR FUCKING BUSINESS BURNS TO THE GROUND. GOT IT, ASSHOLE?"

I would not personally do this. However, if I rented one of these
things and for any reason it stopped playing properly before the
official, contractual time, I would consider burning down the rental
place to be morally justified. I just wouldn't threaten to do it!

The more I think about this, the more I am looking for an April 1st
date in the whole thing.

--Tim May

"We are at war with Oceania. We have always been at war with Oceania."
"We are at war with Eurasia. We have always been at war with Eurasia."
"We are at war with Iraq. We have always been at war with Iraq.
"We are at war with France. We have always been at war with France."