Can one author a DVD with CSS included?

Major Variola (ret) mv at cdc.gov
Fri May 16 14:08:18 PDT 2003

I know DVD recorders & media exist.   I'll assume they
let you burn movies in a not-CSS encoded format that
ordinary DVD players can play.

Are there no utilities that let Joe Sixpack record his own
CSS-"protected" movies?  One would have to choose
a CSS key, but these are known, as is the CSS algorithm.

If such utilities exist, why isn't duping one's self-authored CSS
protected
DVDs used as a defense in ongoing DVD copy-utility trials?

If DVD-CSS-burning utilities don't exist, are there any tech
obstacles to creating them?  Any legal obstacles?
(The "interop" defense is still legit, and
you're not *circumventing* squat in this case.)

Couldn't you use CSS+DVD players to enforce policies
like "must watch this segment" which commercial disks reportedly do?