Fatherland tries to tie pot to 'terrorists'

Sandy Harris sandy at storm.ca
Thu May 15 20:16:05 PDT 2003

Mike Rosing wrote:

>>If the middle-eastern freedom fighters actually had ties to Mexico,
>>not just sending some $ that way, you can kiss your texas ranch goodbye.
>

> Let's see, Afghanistan produces more opium than any other place on the
> planet,

I've heard that too, and it may even be accurate, but I travelled
through Af some years back (1974, before the Russian invasion
and much else) and it very definitely is not what I saw.

There was opium aplenty in the Shah's Iran. His family owned a lot
of it. One of his relatives was busted at Paris airport bringing
in several kilos of morphine and screaming about diplomatic
immunity. We were offerred O in Teheran and our Iranian hosts
were smoking it in Mashad.

In Af, there was hashish more-or-less everywhere, and exceedingly
high quality. Everyone from customs officials and military officers
to street urchins and respectable merchants offerred it to us. I
don't think that, in several weeks in the country, we ever spent
more than a half hour in public without someone trying to sell us
hash. Friends visited a warehouse with hundreds of kilos in it.

We were not offerred opium.

I'd say that if opium is indeed a major crop in Af now, then the
situation was created by some combination of US pressure on other
sources, the Islamic gov't in Iran suppressing it there, various
groups -- including Bin Laden's lads -- needing money to fight
the Russians, Taliban (probably with the help of the CIA and
Pakistani Intelligence, who created them) needing money, ...