NYT on Biometrics

Bill Stewart bill.stewart at pobox.com
Thu May 15 11:26:22 PDT 2003

I like the juxtaposition of two of the articles in David Pogue's NYT
"Circuits" online column today...

The article is about iris scanners, not retina scanners,
and it doesn't mention the effects of glasses on it.
I'd guess that conventional eyeglasses would  interfere with its effectiveness,
because they magnify or shrink the image and may distort it in other ways,
but perhaps the scanners already need to rescale to adapt to different
camera angles and distances.

6. How It Works: A Scanner Zeroes In on the Eyes

The eye-scanning system at Amsterdam's Schiphol Airport is
something of a novelty. But the technology might someday
replace traditional forms of identification.
http://www.nytimes.com/2003/05/15/technology/circuits/15howw.html?8cir

7. Online Shopper: Finding Eyeglasses on the Web

The Web may seem an unlikely place to shop for eyeglasses.
But it even lets you check the fit.
http://www.nytimes.com/2003/05/15/technology/circuits/15shop.html?8cir