Economics of "Wanted" and "Unwanted" Messages

Tim May timcmay at got.net
Thu May 15 00:21:18 PDT 2003

I'm reading with only 10% of my brain engaged the many (and
oft-repeated) articles about how Hash$ash or MailBucks or whatever will
"fix" the spam problem.

First, what is the spam problem? It's the receipt of unwanted messages,
like a celebrity receiving unwanted attention when he walks in public.
(Issues of his choice to appear in public are not central to the
argument. He receives attention because his name and face is known to
many. A "many to few" problem, just as more letters are sent to the New
York Times than to me.  Ordinary people don't get bothered on the
street because they are not one of the relative handful of celebrities.

With e-mail, we're all celebrities. Rather, the costs of sending
(contacting) are so low that we can all become celebrities to a subset
of stalkers.

The analogy with celebrities is intentional. Their are three main
approaches for dealing with the problem of unwanted attention towards
celebrities:

1. Pass laws making it a crime to approach a person unless one has good
reason to. Courts decide who is authorized or justified. This is the
"unsolicited e-mail is a crime" approach.

2. Celebrities have agents who screen all potential contacts for the
right amount of attention, deals, cocaine, or other forms of
"consideration." This is the HashCash approach. "Pay me to be
interested."

3. Reclusiveness. Celebrities live behind guarded walls, or on their
own Bermuda or Bahamas island estates. When in Hollywood or London,
they stay in 5-star hotels with rigorous screening of who gets to their
floor. This is the "spam filter and personal responsibility" approach.

Now it may be sad that Michael Douglas and Catherine Zeta Jones choose
to live on Bermuda, in a walled compound no less, but this is the price
of notoriety.

As for complicated schemes involving using CPU resources to compute
cryptographic numbers and thus decide whether a sender was sufficiently
motivated or not, this is nonsense. If I recognize a sender's name, I
am likely to read his mail, regardless of whether my 1 GHz G4 decides
that he did not spend enough of his own CPU resources in contacting me.
Etc.

And if I see a bunch of Chinese characters in the message, or I see it
is from a name I don't recognize, I will likely click on "Think of this
kind of message as Trash" and will never again see this kind of
message. (I use OS X Mail, a descendant of NeXTMail, and it has this
kind of Bayesian filtering built in and easy to use.)

If and when spam from harvested messages gets to be too great, I expect
I'll change my e-mail address again. (My spam dropped from about 100
per day to about 1 per day when I changed my 7-year-old address of
"tcmay at got.net" to "timcmay at got.net."  It hasn't gone up in the past
few months. This suggest to me, BTW, that maybe a lot of the spam is
using a relatively static list harvested a while back. Which makes
sense. Those selling "500 million e-mail addresses for $29.95" have no
real incentive to try to keep current: they are selling to dummies
trying to sell fake Viagara sugar pills to suckers. Maybe they're
selling each other the same lists of harvested addresses during the dot
com peak? Just a thought.)

The fundamental flaw which is leading to the spam problem is that
sending a million messages costs very little, not that recipients are
not "charging" for e-mail. If bandwidth actually cost money, if various
links in sending either JPEGs or copies of the Koran or e-mail actually
were charged, a lot of the "ontological" problems with free mail would
be lessened.

Notice that I am NOT saying that all carriers should charge. Indeed,
whether they carry traffic for free or charge for it, and how they
charge, is their business.

Whether on the uplink (sending) or downlink (receiving) or in the
middle side, that some traffic is charged for, and must be paid for
somehow, should be enough to fix things.

The reason we don't get inundated with hundreds of pounds of physical
junk mail each day is that there are ontological limits on sending of
physical goods, on consuming of physical resources. (And learning takes
place. A few years ago I was getting 10 times as much weight in glossy
catalogs. I surmise that some of the glossy catalog makers gave up on
sending expensive catalogs, for which they also had to pay postage, to
tens of millions of potential customers.)

On the downlink side, I expect my ISP is not much interested in trying
to charge me or the sender for the e-mail I receive. But on the uplink
side, on the side which fires off a million e-mails, I wonder why they
don't try to charge the sender?

And why traffic in between, bouncing amongst nodes, is not charge for?
(Such charges would eventually force backwards a charging mechanism, of
whatever form, a la the arguments by Hardy, Tribble, etc. for "digital
silk road." Nobody expected the camel caravan from Tashkent to Baghdad
to carry stuff for free. So why is it expected that 50 GB of JPEGs and
e-mail should travel for free on the Net?

Long term, unwanted communication comes with the "celebrity" effect.
Greg Egan describes it well in "Permutation City": a constant barrage
of agents attempting to make contact, with movies, fake voices, and
every other possible trick. And so the spam filters will spend more
time filtering. (And getting rid of the socialized "all bits are
carried for free" pricing policy at least solves the worst of the
ontological problems.)

Should crypto people be worrying about how nodes on the Net charge for
traffic? Maybe. But it won't involve "HashCash" tokens. For the 99.99%
who never bother with the complications of crypto and signatures,
convincing them to learn about how to use HashCash will be 100 times
harder a sell. And if some mail system tries to ram it down the throats
of the users, they'll find alternatives.

--Tim May