Zero Knowledge in the Cave

Tim May timcmay at got.net
Wed May 14 23:34:19 PDT 2003

On Wednesday, May 14, 2003, at 07:20 PM, Nomen Nescio wrote:

> Zero Knowledge in the Cave
>
> There is a cave with a large entry room.  From this room lead two
> passageways, 1 and 2.  Each of 1 and 2 branches into a myriad of
> smaller
> passages, twisting and turning through the massive rock formation.
> The passageways go on for miles and have never been fully explored.
>
> One of the big questions has been whether passageways 1 and 2 ever
> connect up.  Is there a way of getting from 1 to 2?  Many have
> searched, but none have ever succeeded.  Most people believe that
> no connection will ever be found.

I recall reading a very similar explanation of ZK interactive proofs,
using "zero knowledge in the cave," many years ago. By one of the
founders of the field

I haven't searched for it to compare his (or hers, though I don't
recall it as an article by Shafi G.) words to yours, but you should
have given credit to using the "zero knowledge in the cave" version of
ZKIPS.

--Tim May