Underestimating long-term consequences of cryptoanarchy

Tim May timcmay at got.net
Wed May 14 11:05:26 PDT 2003

On Wednesday, May 14, 2003, at 08:40  AM, Declan McCullagh wrote:

> On Tue, May 13, 2003 at 10:00:25PM -0700, Tim May wrote:
>> (I think the courts should hold personally liable those who pass
>> unconstitutional measures. Imprisoning those who commit acts later
>> declared to be unconstitutional might disincentivize them to blithely
>> pass unconstitutional bills.)
>
> Liability is an interesting idea, but then you'd have judges under a
> tremendous amount of pressure never to declare anything
> unconstitutional. ("Want a paycheck anymore, chief justice?" Or just
> wet squads assigned to take care of the problem of recalcitrant
> judges.)

We hold corporate employees liable for criminal acts. Why should
government employees be exempt from the same standard? And why should a
judge who is able to withstand pressures not to sentence corporate
employees to prison be unable to withstand similar pressures when it
comes to government employees?

There are issues of separation of powers, what with the judiciary thus
having some power to imprison legislative members, but this is not a
new issue. Judges have sentenced members of the legislature and the
executive branch to prison for various offenses, including bribery,
corruption, perjury, etc.

The business of legislators passing new laws when other essentially
identical laws were struck down, just to show their constituents that
they are "doing something" or "helping to save the children," has got
to stop.

"You knew that passing a law restricting freedom of speech would be
struck down eventually. You did it anyway. You have been found guilty
of violations of the civil rights of the 3 million residents of
Colorado in this class action case. The 73 defendants in this case are
each sentenced to the statutory minimum of 6 months for each violation,
sentences to run consecutively."

--Tim May

--Tim May, Corralitos, California
Quote of the Month: "It is said that there are no atheists in foxholes;
perhaps there are no true libertarians in times of terrorist attacks."
--Cathy Young, "Reason Magazine," both enemies of liberty.