what fields to hash with hashcash (Re: A Trial Balloon to Ban Email?)

Adam Back adam at cypherspace.org
Tue May 13 22:27:43 PDT 2003

Well there are different things you could hash.  This simplest is just
to hash the recipient address and the current time (to a day
resolution).

The recipient looks at the token and knows it is addressed to him
because it's his address.  He stores it in his double spend database
and won't accept the same token twice.

After the validity period of a token has expired he can remove it from
his double-psend database to avoid the database growing indefinately.
(He can reject out-of-date mail based purely on it's date).

Hashing the message body is generally a bad idea because of minor
transformations that happen as mail traverses MTAs and gateways.

In fact I don't see a need to hash anything else if you're happy
keeping a double-spend database.

Adam