A Trial Balloon to Ban Email?

Declan McCullagh declan at well.com
Tue May 13 20:29:45 PDT 2003

On Tue, May 13, 2003 at 01:11:29PM -0700, Greg Broiles wrote:
> If we assume an environment where a payor/spender can later check to see
> if their payment was cashed, this also creates a relatively cheap
> way for spammers to create or validate a list of working email
> addresses.

Greg is right, and raises a point I hadn't considered before. But then
again if I charge $.25 to send me mail in a hypothetical micropayment
system (and I'd hope a social custom would arise making it tacky to
retain the money if the mail were not spam), I'd be happy to let
everyone know I have a working email address.

-Declan