Court will decide if police need warrant for GPS 'tracking'

Jack Reed jr0280 at albany.edu
Tue May 13 06:31:31 PDT 2003

At 12:12 PM 5/12/2003 -0700, you wrote:
>I read somewhere that the original wiretap laws were motivated when
>police
>bugged a phone booth (fishing), and snared someone placing a bet.  The
>court
>held that there was an expectation of privacy.

The original laws and cases concerning wiretapping predate the case your
talking about by quite a bit. California's law concerning intercepting
telegraph communications, passed in 1862, made wiretapping illegal before
the advent of the telephone. The first Supreme Court case dealing
explicitly with wiretapping is Olmstead v. U.S. (1928) where the Court
decided that wiretapping was not a trespass. (The reasons for this are to
convoluted to go into here.) This precedent held until the late 60's when
the Warren Court made two decisions that forced the Feds to implement an
actual law that dealt with wiretapping.  The case you're talking about is
Katz V. U.S. (1967) where the FBI put a tap on a phone booth without
obtaining a court order.  This precedent was important because it held that
the Fourth Amendment protected people, rather than places, and that
wherever someone has a reasonable expectation of privacy, such as in a
closed phone booth, is protected.

>Interesting to see what
>they say now.  Segues nicely with the CALEA/cellphone locator tech too.
The Court decided on essentially the same facts in U.S. v. Knotts when they
held that placing a beeper in a drum containing chloroform used in the
manufacture of illegal drugs was constitutional because it only extended
the legal practice of physically following someone.  I doubt that the
Rehnquist court is going to overturn that precedent. There was a case
decided in 2001 which held that using a thermal imaging device to detect
patterns of heat consistent with growing marijuana indoors was a search and
needed a warrant. They do have some qualms about the cops using technology
that's not available to the general public but I doubt they'll come up in
this case.

The cell phone locator is getting shoved through the back door in the E911
specs to save those people who get stranded in the East River while their
drunk or drive off a cliff.  It's all for the good of the people of course.

   Jack Reed