changes at lne.com

Jim Choate ravage at einstein.ssz.com
Mon May 12 20:35:52 PDT 2003

On Mon, 12 May 2003, Eric Murray wrote:

> If someone with a real server with real
> bandwidth wanted to take over or let me have full
> reign on their box to run it there, that'd
> be fine with me.

Once we get the 9P stuff up and running bandwidth issues will go away. 9P
has this cool feature called 'lazy update' which means that when you mount
a namespace you can move the data you want to local only when you access
it. The rest of the time you just have a dir-like structure that handles
namespace access and it sits somewhere on real hardware, but you could
really care less where (or even how many 'where's' there are ore the size
of the chunks the file is broken into ;). In a very real sense the CDR
would stop residing anywhere in particular. It will also significantly
blur the distinction between operator and subscriber.

The author can protect the reader from MITM attacks via normal hashing by
providing their key in a real-only namespace.

Some other cool features we'll be able to support 'out of the box' is
shared multi-media. So, several of us export our sound cards out via a
/dev/sb namespace for example. I take my microphone output and simply pipe
it to multiple /dev/sb/* entries and wallah you all hear it. One app here
would be for a site to run a text-to-speech converter. Then anyone who
wanted to listen to the submissions to the list would mount that dev and
pipe it to their local sound board.

This highlights a cool feature of Plan 9 in that you put services in only
one location in the mesh/blanket/grid and 9P takes care of sharing it out
to everyone.

      We are all interested in the future for that is where you and I
      are going to spend the rest of our lives.

                              Criswell, "Plan 9 from Outer Space"

      ravage at ssz.com                            jchoate at open-forge.org
      www.ssz.com                               www.open-forge.org