Other changes to the CDR

Jim Choate ravage at einstein.ssz.com
Mon May 12 20:22:24 PDT 2003

Just as an aside, and perhaps a friendly warning :)

We expect to complete the authorization issues on the current Hangar 18
cluster project the third week of June. At that point at least the current
Hangar 18 lists (~200) and the SSZ lists (ie CDR and a couple of others)
will be migrated to that format. We hope to have that migration completed by
sometime in July.

We currently expect to start with 80G of space and increase as needed.
Additionaly we'll be moving from this ISDN to 384k SDSL in the Oct. time
frame.

At least at the start we will continue to support subscribers in the
traditional sense. But once we have enough 9P users (there are drivers for
many OS'es now) we can drop the traditional *nix interface (we'll
probably do that when 90% of our users are via 9P). It's worth mentioning
that we'll also be able to support NFS and SMB as well (though we will not
make such resources universal/global in nature because of the various
security issues, they also have very! limited support for transitive
mounts).

The general layout will be to mount the namespace on some local point of
your choosing (eg /hangar18) and below that will be all the community
resources. To participate in a list for example will be nothing more than
editing a text file and dropping it in the appropriate dir (eg
/hangar18/cypherpunks/submission) where it will then be moved over to a
longer-lived location (eg /hangar18/cypherpunks/<date>). The propogation
will be handled via 9P services. To access the resources one must either
be a direct participant via tit-for-tat or else a tit-for-tat node will
provide some sort of access via their own policies (eg $$ to the public or
free to friends). The title will be the filename, the author the owner,
and if you want to cc then it will be a cp with multiple targets, and each
'mail list' will not be aware of what other lists it was copied to
(though you could certainly create a header like structure to share that
info).

      We are all interested in the future for that is where you and I
      are going to spend the rest of our lives.

                              Criswell, "Plan 9 from Outer Space"

      ravage at ssz.com                            jchoate at open-forge.org
      www.ssz.com                               www.open-forge.org