changes at lne.com

Jim Choate ravage at einstein.ssz.com
Mon May 12 19:54:16 PDT 2003

On Mon, 12 May 2003, Declan McCullagh wrote:

> But I don't understand why an extra 100 messages a day or even 1000
> messages a day would be a big deal for a server with a fast Net connection.
> If it's DSL or cable modems, that makes sense.

Even 128kb/s ISDN does not appreciably bog. At current loads I use less
than 10% of my bandwidth on average. I do see spikes that hit 100% but
they last for minutes.

> But if it's on a server with bandwidth charges, and that's the issue,
> does it make sense to take up a collection to offest the cost? (I'm
> thinking of asking for the same thing with Politech, since server
> hosting is getting expensive.)

A SDSL commerical feed is around $250 a month and you can host your own
name server and such.

Why should users pay for that? You're just trying to get a free ride.

      We are all interested in the future for that is where you and I
      are going to spend the rest of our lives.

                              Criswell, "Plan 9 from Outer Space"

      ravage at ssz.com                            jchoate at open-forge.org
      www.ssz.com                               www.open-forge.org