changes at lne.com

Declan McCullagh declan at well.com
Mon May 12 18:12:54 PDT 2003

On Mon, May 12, 2003 at 11:05:41AM -0700, Eric Murray wrote,
quoting Bill Stewart:
> > Could you at least bouncegram the mail that you're not saving,
> > or else have SMTP use a reject message that says what it's doing?
> > That way the occasional non-whitelisted non-subscriber human
> > who sends mail to the list will get some indication that the mail's
> > been rejected and what to do about it.
>
> I'd like to.  But bouncing the mail will mean that
> I have to send 100 bounces and process 100 bounces back, since
> few spammers use real mail addresses and most of those are
> already over quota or rejecting mail.  So it won't save me
> much traffic and I'll have to add a hack for dumping
> the bounce bounces...

First we should thank Eric for doing an absolutely spectacular job of
running his node. I've been running moderated and unmoderated lists
since 1994, and, take it from me, dealing with administrative stuff
is a thankless task. You're far more likely to deal with people who
are angry than thankful.

I like Bill's suggestion, and perhaps it's possible to use disposable
email addresses (cp-20030512 at lne.com?) for replies?

But I don't understand why an extra 100 messages a day or even 1000
messages a day would be a big deal for a server with a fast Net connection.
If it's DSL or cable modems, that makes sense.

But if it's on a server with bandwidth charges, and that's the issue,
does it make sense to take up a collection to offest the cost? (I'm
thinking of asking for the same thing with Politech, since server
hosting is getting expensive.)

-Declan