New seccure commercial messaging site?

Joseph Ashwood ashwood at msn.com
Mon May 12 16:27:13 PDT 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: <barabbus at hushmail.com>
Subject:  New seccure commercial messaging site?

> Stealth Message is a secure messaging system designed for communicating
> sensitive and confidential information.  It protects your privacy,
allowing
> you to communicate in complete confidence with friends and colleagues.
>
> http://www.stealthmessage.com/s/home/index.cfm?re=about

Try again, this time seriously. I didn't even bother reading most of the
front page where it says you support auto-destruct features. Ummm, bull,
_your_ implementation may support auto-destruct, but you cannot verify the
auto-destruct on the other side. Ok I take it back I did eventually go and
read the rest of the page, it's just as laughable, your entire "product" is
write a message, upload it to our servers, and we'll tell your friends.
Let's assume for now that someone will actually be stupid enough to trust
you. Just in case you hadn't noticed very few systems actually attached to
the internet remain unhacked for a full year. The direct result of this is
most likely someone placing snooping software on your server to read every
message. The next problem, your claim "messages are untraceable," completely
incorrect. Again let's look at the snooping bug, it sees where the data is
coming from, what the data is, and who the data is being sent to, doesn't
sound at all like the untracability I know. Even without the snooping bug,
let's assume your system can't be hacked for whatever reason. I own a
business (Trust Laboratories), we do software assurance, and of course we
have a few secrets, if those secrets are being leaked you can bet the first
thing I'm gonna do is start digging through all the email, web, phone, ftp,
etc. logs I keep on my network, you haven't even begun to address the
capabilities of a real system, all you've created is a fun toy that a few
AOL (or MSN) users* can use to get themselves in even more trouble. Please
do the world a favor and quit wasting bandwidth, oh and BTW your going throu
gh hushmail doesn't deceive us into believing that you don't work for the
piece of sh*t in question.
                        Joe

* side note: While my email address is at msn.com, I don't consider myself a
user of MSN, I haven't visited one of their internal sites since the last
time I had to change my credit card info. I simply keep it because so many
people know this address.