changes at lne.com

Eric Murray ericm at lne.com
Mon May 12 11:05:41 PDT 2003

On Mon, May 12, 2003 at 10:39:04AM -0700, Bill Stewart wrote:
> At 09:57 AM 05/12/2003 -0700, Eric Murray wrote:
> >I am also going to filter the non-subscriber mail more effectively.
> >Lately I have had to check about 50 spams a day to see if they are
> >actually posts to the list.  I find one real post every two or three days.
> >Now I will save for human processing only the non-subscriber mail that is
> >PGP signed or encrypted, or that looks like a reply.
> >The majority of non-subscriber mails I've forwarded to the list
> >have been replies.  (I'll save everything for a while to make
> >sure my filtering works).
>
> Could you at least bouncegram the mail that you're not saving,
> or else have SMTP use a reject message that says what it's doing?
> That way the occasional non-whitelisted non-subscriber human
> who sends mail to the list will get some indication that the mail's
> been rejected and what to do about it.

I'd like to.  But bouncing the mail will mean that
I have to send 100 bounces and process 100 bounces back, since
few spammers use real mail addresses and most of those are
already over quota or rejecting mail.  So it won't save me
much traffic and I'll have to add a hack for dumping
the bounce bounces...

I don't think I can do an SMTP error message since its
getting handled in procmail, after the body is accepted.

If I can't filter better than 50% of the non-subscriber spam without
filtering some real non-subscriber posts, I'll probably try the bounce
message thing.  OTOH, the way I review non-subscriber mails after this
change lets me see the sender name and subject without looking at the
mail like I did before, so it may turn out that it's fast enough for me
to review that I don't need to do any filtering at all.

Oh, and before Peter asks, next time I mess with it, I'll make
messages with the appropriate X-approved header go through without
human intervention.

Eric