community gardens

Bill Stewart bill.stewart at pobox.com
Mon May 12 10:33:01 PDT 2003

>Tim May wrote...
>"I said I saw the same thing in Berkeley and Santa Cruz. Both are said
>to be "progressive" communities, but in both places the so-called
>community garden areas are essentially for hoboes and deadbeats to scratch
>at."

Minor technical correction - hoboes are migrant workers,
as opposed to tramps, who are migrant non-workers,
or bums, who are non-migrant non-workers,
and hoboes aren't likely to be hanging out in that kind of area,
at least during the times of year there's active gardening going on,
because that's when they're most likely to be working on farms.
That may be different down in Watsonville, where there's a lot of
railroad connectivity and a lot of farms, but up in Santa Cruz and
certainly up in Berkeley, it's much more likely to just be bums.

>At 10:21 AM 05/12/2003 -0400, Tyler Durden wrote:
>In NYC the phenomenon is entirely different. First of all, the gardens are
>almost always gated and barbwired. For two, its primarily the non-drugged
>members of a community that are working the garden, and a prime reason for
>creating the garden is to pretty up and otherwise crappy looking block.
>The flowers and produce of the garden are almost tertiary.

Yup.  Barbed wire definitely spruces up a community.....