changes at lne.com

Eric Murray ericm at lne.com
Mon May 12 09:57:29 PDT 2003

The spam load at lne.com is WAY too high.
Last month for example there was an average of 96 spams per day submitted
to cypherpunks at lne.com.   "submitted" means that it was the first
time we saw that particular mail.  Since the CDR system sends everything
to all nodes, that means we got and passed on about 4x that number.
800 spams a day is a waste.

So I have changed the way we deal with CDR mail.  We will no longer pass
to other CDRs mail that we would not send to subscribers.  Eliminating
outbound spam will cut our cypherpunks spam load in half.

I am also going to filter the non-subscriber mail more effectively.
Lately I have had to check about 50 spams a day to see if they are
actually posts to the list.  I find one real post every two or three days.
Now I will save for human processing only the non-subscriber mail that is
PGP signed or encrypted, or that looks like a reply.
The majority of non-subscriber mails I've forwarded to the list
have been replies.  (I'll save everything for a while to make
sure my filtering works).

As always, other CDR operators and anyone else interested
in running a CDR are welcome to my scripts.

Eric