blackhole spam => mail unreliability (Re: A Trial Balloon to Ban Email?)

Harmon Seaver hseaver at cybershamanix.com
Sat May 10 20:38:53 PDT 2003

On Sat, May 10, 2003 at 09:36:43AM -0600, Anne & Lynn Wheeler wrote:
> do you think that earthlink would automatically blacklist aol if it found
> incoming spam from aol? I think that earthlink would contact aol and say
> ... your ingress filtering doesn't seem to be working. It would only be
> after all attempts to understand aol's ingress filtering that earthlink
> might take action.

   well, I don't know about those two, but I've found Road Runner sometimes
blocking mail from ameritech, or at least from part of ameritech. When I asked
why my mail to their user was being bounced, their reply was that someone on my
subnet was spamming. So then I just had to disconnect my dsl line and reconnect
to get on a different subnet and then my mail would go thru, but what sheer
idiocy.

--
Harmon Seaver
CyberShamanix