A Trial Balloon to Ban Email?

Morlock Elloi morlockelloi at yahoo.com
Sat May 10 12:58:41 PDT 2003

I think that any loading of e-mail with computational tasks has to follow the
paradigm of the current system, where A sends mail to B and there is absolutely
no other communication betwen B and A or C for that matter.

For instance, take an assymetric algo, where t=Hard(x) and x=Easy(t).

x is something that B can verify is (almost) unique to the message, like

x = (B's e-mail address) + timestamp (must be within last n hours).

A burns cycles to do t=Hard(x) and sends t with the message to B.

B verifies x with x=Easy(t) and accepts or rejects message based on that.

The drawback is that sending any mail costs time. I queue mail and in few
minutes t is computed and mail sent. It could be as little as minute per
message to discourage spam.

No intermediaries, no communication protocols.

=====
end
(of original message)

Y-a*h*o-o (yes, they scan for this) spam follows: