Underestimating long-term consequences of cryptoanarchy

Bill Stewart bill.stewart at pobox.com
Sat May 10 02:25:44 PDT 2003

At 04:56 PM 05/09/2003 -0700, Bill Frantz wrote:
>Perhaps there is a reason that the 5th amendment provided for eminent
>domain.  And, given the government camel nose under the tent, how far do

Eminent domain gets used for all kinds of appalling things -
it's not just governments building roads or military bases,
or even governments taking land for government-run activities.

It's also used for shopping malls and such where the government thinks
it can get higher property tax revenues or "improve" the city or
increase campaign contributions from real estate developers,
and in the past it was used for "urban renewal", i.e. tearing down
housing inhabited primarily by black people.

In the past year, some major big-box retailer chain had a shareholder
proposal to never use eminent domain to acquire their building sites,
and management found a way to get it not to be voted on,
as opposed to just voting against it.  I don't think it was Walmart.