blackhole spam => mail unreliability (Re: A Trial Balloon to Ban Email?)

Anne & Lynn Wheeler lynn at garlic.com
Fri May 9 22:35:36 PDT 2003

Currently ISPs typically "notice" when they get complaints. ISPs could do a
much better job of actively noticing and limiting mail at ingress ... as
opposed to waiting for somebody to complain and canceling the account. Many
of the recent statements about ISPs can't limit email at ingress
dynamically are similar to the comments about not being able to filter
ingress packets if their origin address didn't match the ip address of the
sender (as stated in the original posting) ... per the ingress packet
filtering RFC referenced in the original post.

My original post mentioned that the ISPs could then do their own effort of
blacklisting (of other ISPs). Currently spam blacklists can be somewhat
like vigilantes .... with the argument analogy that since vigilantly
justice can make mistakes then there shouldn't be any highway patrol, FBI,
and/or secret service. ISPs would be expected to filter on ingress of email
from their own customers .... and even if the 10 top ISPs blacklisted other
ISPs that didn't do a reasonable job of ingress filtering ... it could
start to put a big dent in the spamming business, possibly cutting it from
40-80% of existing email down under 5-10%. It is sort of like stop signs
and stop lights .... there are typically hundreds of more intersections
than there are traffic enforcers .... however with sufficient leverage ...
it can significantly improve the situation ... even if it can be proved
that it can't, absolutely, 100% guarantee one hundred percent compliance.

I didn't make any statement about ISPs attempting to identify spammers when
they register the account .... the original post was only with regard to
ISPs doing active email ingress filtering. My ISP recognizes and bills me
extra if I'm simultaneously connected multiple times ... there is a little
latitude for modem hanging, my dropping the line ... but the modem not
reporting it ... and my connecting on a different modem. It also does
traffic load-leveling if I really try and hit it hard. If it can bill extra
for simultaneous connects and traffic load leveling, it can do both packet
ingress filtering and email ingress filtering.

past thread drawing the analogy that the information superhighway is
something like the wild west .... w/o traffic rules, traffic signs, traffic
lights, speed limits, and enforcement. start with a couple hundred people
in town .... and went to millions ... and there still isn't even any rule
about which side of the road people should be driving on.
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2001m.html#30 Internet like city w/o traffic
rules, traffic signs, traffic lights and traffic enforcement

--
Anne & Lynn Wheeler    http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/
Internet trivia 20th anv http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/rfcietff.htm