Collectivism in "community gardens"

Declan McCullagh declan at well.com
Thu May 8 20:55:06 PDT 2003

On Thu, May 08, 2003 at 01:04:50PM -0500, Harmon Seaver wrote:
>     Hmm, I've never seen that sort of a problem with community gardens
> anywhere. The vast majority of the people work pretty hard on their plots.

>From my window where I'm typing this, I can see (or could see if it
were light out) one of Adams Morgans' once-lauded "community gardens."
It might have been a big deal in the 1970s, but now it's just a rocky
slope with a few scraggly corn stalks growing on it. I've never seen a
gardener actually garden there in the seven years I've lived in the
neighborhood.

-Declan