Asperger's Syndrome

Mike Rosing eresrch at eskimo.com
Thu May 8 11:40:38 PDT 2003

On Thu, 8 May 2003, harlequin wrote:

> *delurking for the first time*

Welcome to the insane asylum :-)

> I think that this is the whole point. It's impossible to tell what
>effect removing a species from an ecosystem will have due to the
>phenomenal complexity of the system. Just removing the mosquito _appears_
>to have very little effect, but the wider ramifications of such an action
>could be disastrous.
>
> It may well be that the desire to preserve the mosquito is in the
>minority, but amongst those who actually understand the possible
>implications I would suspect that there is a different viewpoint.

Yup, Muir's quote hit that too.

It's interesting that pathogens are learning how to bypass their
normal vectors and going straight for the target (HIV and SARS come to
mind).  Plague rode on fleas that rode on rats, and it covered the planet.
SARS rides the host on airplanes and covers the planet a hell of a lot
faster.  Ebola is fortunatly self limiting, but seems to be wiping out all
primates in its zone of influence.  Let's hope that thing doesn't learn a
better vector!

Patience, persistence, truth,
Dr. mike