Capitalism and monopolism: "Obvious" it ain't.

James A. Donald jamesd at echeque.com
Wed May 7 23:24:14 PDT 2003

    --
James Donald:
> > Used to be that in the third world most people were skinny,
> > so fat was a status symbol.  Now diet books are outselling
> > cookbooks, and Rubenesque women are everywhere out of
> > fashion.

Tyler Durden
> Uh, where? In China? In India? Indonesia?

Yes.

> ANd despite the economic advances of, say, China, outside
> coastal regions acquiring enough calories is still a
> challenge.

A challenge that these days most people meet, and a
distressingly large number of people more than meet.  iIt used
to the be that the third world was visibly getting less skinny.
Now it is visibly getting fatter.

I could post statistics, but better still, you should look
through the photos posted by a chinese introduction agency.
Search for Indonesian and Chinese.   They are not as fat as us
westerners, but they are still too damned fat.

    --digsig
         James A. Donald
     u7MUgz0PmLBdrqWGV2kE4UCthb6a5Sy2PBf9bEbL
     42S4QEWW/Lu0b55LEaa86Qc82eSdITP6tswo9H4eI