Why are there so many statists and communists here on this list now?

Declan McCullagh declan at well.com
Tue May 6 20:10:17 PDT 2003

On Mon, May 05, 2003 at 08:12:15AM -0400, John Kelsey wrote:
> This is the interesting question: Would the anarchocapitalist society have
> and keep an advantage?  I don't think you can answer it except by
> experiment, but it's at least as feasible to me that the right kind of
> authoritarian state might be pretty damned good at keeping up with an
> anarchocapitalist one for technology, and would be better at some
> technology.  (Think of what you can learn about engineered diseases when

I think this is right. I would not claim that a purely capitalist
state is most efficient at producing technology with warfighting
capabilities; I'd argue only that it's best at maximizing the
happiness (and therefore the total economic output) of people who
lived there. That could lead to technology with military applications
or it could just be some pretty funky immersion sim. :)

-Declan