what moral obligation? (Re: DRM technology and policy)

Thomas Shaddack shaddack at ns.arachne.cz
Tue May 6 13:21:04 PDT 2003

On Mon, 5 May 2003, Steve Schear wrote:
> >I believe that the Philips, who holds the trademark for compact disks, has
> >said that copy protected disks do not follow the standard and may not use
> >the trademark.
>
> If so, couldn't the labels selling be charged with deceptive advertising?

An interesting countermeasure would be releasing the sources to the CDR/RW
drives' firmware, and possibly the related SDKs. This could stir the CD
drive market in an interesting way - "make your own firmware upgrade"
brings interesting options. (I'd surely want such drive.) Could have
interesting applications, including reading/writing of heavily damaged and
nonstandard media, and anything other that you can get by direct access
to the laser and the motors of the drive.

More later. Awfully busy now.